Fraga Farmstead Creamery is Oregon’s only USDA certified organic goat cheese producer in Oregon. Fraga usually brings 8 to 10 different cheeses to the Wednesday Moreland Farmer’s Market. Specialties include Chipotle Farmhouse cheese and Feta in Brine. Their two most popular are Chevre with Olive Tapenade and the children’s favorite, the melty Goatzarella.
About 15 years ago, husband and wife team Steve Monahan and Elizabeth Bueschen-Monahan took over the herd and dairy from the original Fraga Farm owners, who had become the first diary certified through Oregon Tilth. Steve and Elizabeth are happy to continue this holistic, nurturing tradition in their new location in Washington County. At the Gales Creek farm, the goats will have more pasture and rotational grazing and Fraga’s cheese will be made in a new, custom built dairy. In the meantime, the 40 goats are pastured and milked at the original location near Sweet Home.
You can find Fraga Farmstead Cheese at the Moreland Farmer’s Market, at other farmer’s markets around Portland, and at People’s Co-Op. More information along with photos of the farm, the dairy and the goats is online at fragafarm.com.
Chocoate Cheve Truffles – from fragafarm.com, recipe by Andy Lunday
- 6 ounces chocolate
- 6 ounces Fraga Chevre Cheese
- 2 tablespoons liqueur like whisky or rum (optional)
- Chopped nuts or shaved coconut (optional)
- Preparation Instructions
- In double boiler melt chocolate until smooth.
- Stir in Fraga Chevre cheese and stir until melted. The mixture may seize up a
- little but keep on stirring and it will become smooth.
- Mix in your choice of liquor if desired.
- Let mixture cool until able to handle.
- Form into small balls.
- Roll into chopped nuts or coconut if desired.